Learn To Knit
Craft -Yarn Council’s in USA undertook a study in 2014. The main reason behind the study was to understand the popularity of knitting among current Americans. The studies revealed some amazing facts like the Southeast region of USA, had the largest concentration of knitters. This was closely followed by the Northeast region which had 22% of the total active knitters in USA. People associate knitting with middle and old aged people. However 15% of active knitters belonged to the age of 18years to 34 years and most of them undertook a few hours of knitting on a weekly basis. All these amazing data might have actually created an urge for you and you are eager to Learn To Knit. Below we have explained the basic guidelines which you need to understand and use when you are learning to knit.
What are the basic knitting skills?
When you are knitting, you are doing the following activities explained below-
• You create a slip knot.
• You form a simple knit stitch.
• You make the stitch which is known as purl stitch.
• You undertake the process of binding-off.
• You also need to understand how you pick your wools and the needles.
How do you pick a pattern for your knitting?
Once you have understood the basics of knitting, you have to pick the pattern that you would knit. Knitting experts would advise you to pick a small flat design. It is best not to be too adventurous here.
How do you understand a knitting pattern?
One of the important challenges faced by beginners who are learning to knit is understanding the knitting pattern. When you Learn To Knit, you have to be able to read the pattern well and then use it to knit the pattern. Otherwise you are heading for trouble. Here are some of the basics which you should understand-
1. What is the skill level? When you are looking at a basic knitting pattern, you would see the skill level. This could be beginners, intermediate and advanced levels. It is essential that you concentrate on beginner’s level only. Many pattern books also rate their patterns on a scale of 1 to 4. Here 1 is the simplest pattern and thus select the pattern.
2. What is the size of the knitting project? When you are starting to knit, it would best that you do not start by making sweaters. Fitted knitting is complicated and you will not be able to handle this project. The best projects to undertake are knitting a scarf, blankets or a muffler.
3. What is the gauge of the knitting pattern? When you are starting a knitting project, you might come across a term known as gauge. If you are knitting a scarf or a blanket, you can ignore it. However when you start knitting a cardigan, the meaning of gauge becomes important. Gauge is best defined in knitting as set of measurements which needs to be strictly followed.
4. How do you finish a knitting project? When you are at the last level of your knitting project, you would need to weave the ends. The ends here could be the loose ends of your knitting yarn. When you have moved to the advanced level and are working with multiple colored yarns, they would be a number of loosed ends to weave. Knitting experts advise that before you start weaving the ends, you should leave 6 inches of the knitted yarn, aside. Here you would need to use a tapestry-needle and then weave the yarn discreetly. Most beginners find it very difficult to weave the yarn and make it look invisible especially in the right side area. Popular techniques used here are:
• You can create using a loop using the purl stitch and this would seal the loose ends in a secure manner. You can also adopt the method of working with a purl stitch and then go down and up. Here the knitter stays as much as possible to the end level.
• Another strategy to weave the end is creating duplicate stitching. Here the yarn is stitched using the pattern which was used to knit it. The result of using duplicate stitching lies in the fact that it creates a strong base of weaves. However this stitching cannot be undertaken for some customized knitting patterns.